Collections and Categories App for Kindle Fire

About two weeks ago, I told you about the Collections and Categories App for the Kindle Fire, which can organize your Kindle books on your Fire into categories (you can click here or type in http://bit.ly/R62cEV into your web browser to see the post again).

A new version / update has just been released in the Amazon App Store, and if you have previously purchased the app it should automatically update to version 2.1.4; if it does not, you can click here or type in http://bit.ly/UXgRxP into your web browser on how to manually update your apps – not just this app but any other app you may have purchased from the Amazon App Store. Please note when you update the app, your previous categories are not deleted: in other words, you’re not going to have to recreate all of your hard work!

So, what’s new in this version?

• A small number of users, particularly if they have an HD Fire, were receiving crashes after install or if they attempted to remove a book. That issue has been resolved with this version.
  • All of the categories you create will now be displayed in alphabetical order (that was a big wishlist item from the majority of the users). Previously, the categories would only display in the order in which they were initially created.
  • Some users who had an original Kindle Fire had their books scanned by the app twice, which resulted in 2x the number of books displayed. That problem has been corrected.

You can check out the version for the “regular” Kindle Fire if you click here or type in http://bit.ly/firecollections into your web browser.

You can check out the version for the Kindle Fire HD (not the 8.9” HD tablet) if you click here or type in http://bit.ly/collectionshd into your web browser.

I’ve heard from several hundred of you who tell me you love this app and it has made your life a lot easier – that makes me smile! However, the majority of the reviews the app has received have been written by people who have had problems with the first iteration of the app and, to just come out with it, there are a lot of negative ones: I would appreciate it if you could take just one minute of your day and write a favorable review on the app’s page on the Amazon website.

If you’re having problems with the app, have a question, or have some ideas on how to improve or enhance it with a future update please feel free to shoot me an email to michael at fkbooksandtips dot com

Thanks!

Michael

Organize your books on your Kindle Fire with our updated Collections and Categories App! Click Here or type in http://bit.ly/firecollections into your web browser to get it now!

Want to have this blog sent wirelessly to your e-Ink Kindle vs. reading it on your computer? Try out the free two-week trial subscription! Click here for the Amazon page of the Free Kindle Books and Tips blog or type in http://www.tinyurl.com/fkblog into your computer’s web browser.

4 Free Kindle Books for a Friday Night
4 Free Kindle Books

Comments

1. Pamela Bassanelli Bongers says

I was wondering the same thing. I have the kindle app on my iPad and would love to be able to use this app to organize all my books.

2. Julie Robinson Long says

I love this app. It makes organizing my books so simple. I get free books all the time and am glad that I can file them how i please. The new update is awesome. Love everything in abc order. thanks

3. Dee Seneca says

okay you all know I love books. Well on my kindle I have more than 1500 booksI read all the time. But the only problem was I could not categorize them into subject matter ie: paranormal romance, historical , biographies, histories, ect. so I would have to search for a book in the gener that I was wanting to read. This app is awesome. a few glitches… But I hav faith that Michael will iron them out with updates …. thanks for making a mess of books into a a neat little book again. …

4. Dorothy Towne says

I also had a problem with this app when I first downloaded. However, it was the user, NOT THE APP. I was loosing books, but once I went to the button " Download All" when the books I just purchased appeared in the main library box, I then found them in Uncategorized, from there, you put each in the desired category. Voila, no further problem. Now, I LOVE THIS APP!

5. says

I love the idea behind this app, (and if the issue I have with it ever gets resolved, I'd like nothing more than to go write a favorable review for it), but I have to say I hate this new update. I created my categories in the order that I wanted them, and now they're alphabetized, which puts them out of order. It's annoying when something you paid for changes for the worse and you can't change it back. What I really want is to be able to move my "shelves" up and down at will, INCLUDING the "All Books" shelf and the "Uncategorized" shelf. This would allow those who want their categories alphabetized to do so, and the rest of us to put our categories in whichever order we'd like. It would also get rid of the empty shelf at the top – since I categorized all my books, the "Uncategorized" shelf is useless to me.

6. says

Michael, I am a new user of this app and have a question. I am trying to add notes to books that I've already read. I went to the edit book details section and typed in a note. It worked but as soon as I open the book my note gets deleted. Am I doing something wrong? Also, for future updates its would be really great if we could select and move several books to a category at once rather than one at a time. All in all I'm liking this app. Thank you for all your work!

7. says

I have almost all of my books categorized now but I've run into a problem with two of them. It isn't recognizing that two of my books are on my device (I have a kindle fire hd) when I scan for them. I've tried removing them from the device and then re downloading them and scanning again but it doesn't see them for some reason. They are both books I've gotten off of your blog so if you want to try it with them the names are She Walks in Beauty and Child of the Mist.

8. Michael A. Bayman says

If you mean the "add all" button that is within the app, it lists some, not all, books that are already in the collection as well as new ones. Options are limited, so I either have to add all, and then go into the full list and remove the duplicates one at a time, or add new books one at a time, which requires closing and reopening the app for each one. Is there a fix coming for the add all feature, or is there a better way to do this?

9. says

I'm a technophobe computer user, but an avid Kindle reader. Kindle Fire is my 3rd Kindle & I already had hundreds of books when I got the Fire, but Fire has no collections feature. Bought your Collections app, but so far no idea how to use it. Are there easy-to-understand instructions somewhere? I'd probably even be willing to pay for a manual. Thanks!!

10. Charlotte Ann Marie Eure says

I just got this app. However it is not adding all of my books. How do I all of my books?